Malbork is a medieval town in Northern Poland, located within the Żuławy region, along Nogat River delta branch of Vistula River. Situated in the Pomeranian Voivodeship, Malbork was founded in the 13th century by the Knights of the Teutonic Order when Malbork Castle was built as the Order’s headquarters.
Under continuous construction for nearly 230 years, the castle was built into what would become a classic medieval fortress – later earning its designation as the world’s largest brick castle and one of the most impressive of its kind in Europe. The castle and its museum are listed as one of UNESCO’s World Heritage Sites.
In 1945, Malbork was the scene of fierce battles between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union’s Red Army. The town, rechristened Marienburg by the Nazis’ Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder (Reichsgau Danzig-West Prussia) takeover order, was almost completely destroyed following the Red Army’s military capture of the town on March 9, 1945. In June 1945, the town was turned over to Polish authorities, after which the town was permanently renamed Malbork.
The town of Malbork continues to be restored and rebuilt today.