From a geological point of view, the Kauehi Atoll is a 95-meter coral outcrop from the summit of a small submarine volcano, measuring 1,535 meters from the ocean floor, formed nearly 60 million years ago. This is where the Village of Tearavero makes its home.
With a population of 257, the village is located on a kidney-shaped atoll, known as Kauehi, within the Raeffsky group of islands, as part of the Tuamotu Archipelago in French Polynesia. The first recorded European to visit Kauehi was captain of the Beagle ship, Englishman Robert FitzRoy on November 13, 1835. The United States Exploring Expedition conducted between 1838 and 1842 also visited the atoll on August 13, 1839.
During the 19th century, Kauehi became a territory of France, as part of the overseas community of French Polynesia. The area today is popular for tourism and lagoon fishing, where visitors also enjoy viewing nesting grounds for sea turtles.