The mint julep is a classic Southern cocktail that has been enjoyed for centuries. It is made with bourbon, sugar, mint, and water, and is typically served in a chilled silver cup. The mint julep is often associated with the Kentucky Derby, and is a popular drink during the annual race.
In recent years, there has been a growing interest in mint julep tours. These tours take visitors to some of the best places to enjoy a mint julep in the South. Visitors can learn about the history of the mint julep, sample different recipes, and even learn how to make their own mint juleps.
Where to Go on a Mint Julep Tour
There are many great places to go on a mint julep tour in the South. Here are a few of the best:
1. Louisville, Kentucky
Louisville is the home of the Kentucky Derby, and is a great place to learn about the history of the mint julep. There are several distilleries in Louisville that offer mint julep tours, including Maker’s Mark, Jim Beam, and Brown-Forman.
2. Bardstown, Kentucky
Bardstown is known as the “Bourbon Capital of the World,” and is home to over a dozen distilleries. Many of these distilleries offer mint julep tours, as well as tastings and other events.
3. Charleston, South Carolina
Charleston is a beautiful city with a rich history. There are several bars and restaurants in Charleston that serve mint juleps, and some even offer tours of their facilities.
4. Nashville, Tennessee
Nashville is known for its country music, but it’s also a great place to enjoy a mint julep. There are several bars and restaurants in Nashville that serve mint juleps, and some even offer tours of their facilities.
What to Expect on a Mint Julep Tour
A mint julep tour typically includes a visit to a distillery or bar, where you will learn about the history of the mint julep and sample different recipes. You may also have the opportunity to learn how to make your own mint julep.
In addition to learning about the mint julep, you will also get to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the South. Many of the tours take place in historic towns and cities, and you will have the chance to see some of the most iconic landmarks in the region.
Tips for Planning a Mint Julep Tour
Here are a few tips for planning a mint julep tour:
- Book your tour in advance: Many tours fill up quickly, so it’s important to book your tour in advance. You can book your tour online or by calling the tour company.
- Choose a tour that fits your interests: There are many different types of mint julep tours available. Some tours focus on the history of the mint julep, while others focus on the tasting experience. Choose a tour that fits your interests and budget.
- Dress appropriately: Mint julep tours are typically held outdoors, so it’s important to dress appropriately. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing that you don’t mind getting a little bit dirty.
- Bring your camera: You’ll want to capture all of the memories from your mint julep tour. Bring your camera so you can take pictures of the scenery, the food, and your fellow tour participants.
A mint julep tour is a great way to learn about the history of this classic Southern cocktail and sample different recipes. It’s also a great way to see some of the most beautiful parts of the South and enjoy some delicious food and drinks.
If you’re looking for a unique and memorable experience, I highly recommend taking a mint julep tour. You won’t be disappointed.